Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Simple Guide to Using Coupons


First, let me say that the nice lady that writes this blog is not a crazy couponer. You will not see me on a reality TV show, although I must admit we do not have cable so I have never seen it.  I use coupons every week for products that I would normally buy. Unless I can get it for free (getting things for free does become a game), I only buy things that would normally be in my cart. I have been using coupons for about a year and I save between 40%-50% of my weekly household bill. I use coupons for just about everything but I see the most savings in groceries, household goods, personal care stuff (shampoo, deodorant, etc..) and medicine. I spend, on average, three hours a week clipping and hunting online for good deals.
There are definitely tricks of the trade when it comes to using coupons successfully. I am going to lay out the basics then I will do an expanded post explaining each.
  • Know when to use your coupons. Just because you have a coupon does not mean you use it. Every product is on a 6-ish week rotation. You need to know when the product you want to buy will be at its cheapest price and then you use your coupons. 
  • Know your store's coupon policy. Each store deals with coupons in a different way and it is important to use each coupon to its full potential. I will talk about some of the stores that I frequent and how you can find out what your stores policies are. 
  • Know where to get coupons. You do NOT need to pay for a coupon clipping service. I do not use one and have never needed one. I will discuss the newspaper, online resources, in store sources, and other ways to get those special little pieces of paper!
  • Keep organized. There is nothing worse than knowing you have a coupon but not being able to find it. There are a lot of ways to do this. I have found one that I LOVE and will share it with you!
  • Actually using the coupons. Ok, you have gone through a lot of work to clip and research; please don’t leave them in your car!
As I go through this feel free to ask questions and post your own tips and tricks. The last post I do will be on all of the things I have been learning over the last year on my quest to save money. Yes you can save money, real money that you would have spent. This is money you can use to take a vacation, buy something new or put in savings for another day.
I challenge you to try this for two months, if it does not work you have not lost much but if it does you will have saved some hard earned money!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates