Thursday, June 9, 2011

No Spend June: The First Week


Well, our no spend June is going very well in some ways and more difficult than expected in others. We are doing great in the food department. I have cooked every night and we are going though all of the foods that I have been moving around the pantry and freezer for months. This is doing a few things:
  1. Teaching me what foods I buy but we really don't want to eat.  For example, I have four boxes of Hamburger Helper staring at me. I don't really ever want to make them but I think "they are only a dollar and I might want a quick meal some day." I just need to realize that I am no longer interested in much pre-made boxed stuff and just need to walk by the sale. The little Polish girl inside of me is screaming, "buy the cheap stuff!"
  2. If I do not have the option to eat out, then I cook more easily. I have found that taking restaurants out of the option list means that I figure out what to make more easily and I cook it with less grumbling.
  3. I am getting very creative with left overs. I am becoming much better at using left overs for lunch the next day and making them into something new and tasty. 
We have had to spend money in three areas:
  1. We had a pipe break in our wall, and my hubby and father in law had to rip out part of the wall to fix it. That meant we have to buy parts. Now the good news is I have men in my life who can fix just about anything so the repair was $60 instead of a few hundred dollars for a plumber's bill. 
  2. Gas. We had to buy gas to drive to and from a party over the weekend. I need to try and do better in this area and condense my running around town.
  3. Canning. This was an unexpected expense. As I'm sure you have seen, our Mulberry tree was ready to harvest this week and I was missing a few things I had to have to preserve the berries. The good news is I have a wonderful mother and mother in law that gave me a lot of cans and stuff so I only had to buy a few small things like lids and pectin. 
Overall the first week went well but I hope to do better this week! Lets all just pray no more pipes break please and thank you! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates